Saturday 24 September 2011

Can you help me upgrade my PC?

I am looking to do some upgrades to my computer because I want it to perform better and I do not want to buy a new one right now. I have an HP Pavilion a1253w with an AMD Athlon 64 processor 3400+ running at 2.19 Ghz and 2.43 GB of RAM.



I am wondering how easy/feasible it is to change the processor and what would be a good replacement for what I have. I want to optimize my speed while on the internet, especially.



As for the RAM, I am already pretty certain that I could add more than I have and I am considering doing that, but my main question here is about the processor.



Also, if there is anything else that I could do in regards to hardware upgrades to increase speed and performance, please let me know.



Thanks for any help.
Can you help me upgrade my PC?
You can probably fit a dual-core into there, though I wouldn't recommend it. You have socket 939, and due to limited supply socket 939 dual-cores are way overpriced compraed to newer AM2 ones, and you have to shell out 80+ dollars for a measly 2GHz 3800 X2.



The highest clocked socket 939 duals are the 2.6GHz FX-60s, which go for over $200.



At that point you might as well change out the motherboard, processor, and RAM at once.



For $150 you can get a decent motherboard, 4GB RAM, and an Athlon X2 dual-core.



Motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as鈥?/a>



Processor: Athlon X2 5200(2.7GHz)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as鈥?/a>



RAM: 4GB DDR2-800

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as鈥?/a>
Can you help me upgrade my PC?
Your processor and, RAM are good enough that you should be able to surf the internet with no problems. Internet speed is more dependent on you internet connection speeds than your processor and, RAM. It's going to be difficult to upgrade your CPU without changing the motherboard and, RAM as well. It would probably be easier to buy a new computer. You might could use some more RAM but, again 2.43gb should be plenty to surf the web with no problems. Go to http://crucial.com/ Scan your computer with their tool. It will tell you what you have and, suggest upgrades.

If your using dial up switch to high speed wireless, DSL or, Cable to improve your internet speeds. If you already have wireless, DSL or, Cable. Check with your provider on ways to increase speed.