Saturday 24 September 2011

Computer Problem Part 4 - Almost worked!?

Ok, so here's where I have left off from.



I had a computer problem only a few days ago, and I (well, the Yahoo! Community did...) solved the problem by changing the PSU. I had a 450W in, but I replaced it with a 250W and Kapow! it fires into life!



I managed to reformat the HDD I had in (80GB) and after installation, put in a 200GB HDD as a slave. It worked fine, and I started installing all my old programs and stuff, chuffed that I have my old desktop back working.



I turn it off at 2am, and once I got back from work at 12.15pm the following day, I pushed the power button and nothing happened. I couldn't believe it!



I thought that the PSU had blown, so I went and replaced it with a 230W PSU... but nothing has happened. I know its not the PSU because there is a green light that glows when power is getting to it, and come on, it was working yesterday! And I know its not the actual power switch, because I thought it was that yesterday, but I changed it and it never solved the problem, so when I changed the PSU and put the old one back in, it turned on. Its a new Graphics card (less powerful, but now the graphics actually work...) that's in it, a new P4 2.4Ghz CPU, new Abit BE7 motherboard, a formatted HDD and a now formatted slave HDD. This is the 3rd PSU I have put in it, but as you can tell I don't think there was anything wrong with the old PSU... I just can't put my finger on what has went wrong, as nobody has touched this presumably fine working PC.





Please note that I have scrapped the 450W as it was the problem before. I still have the 250W and I currently have the 230W installed. I have tried turning it off and disconnecting from the power source for a while.



UPDATE



I have taken the advice from part 2 of this problem that the Yahoo! Community have given me, and instead of going down in power, I have went up to 400W power supply, as I went on a website and it says that my computer needs 271W of power. I borrowed a 400W PSU and threw it in. Result? Still doesn't work.



I went and changed the CPU from a Pentium 4 2.4GHz processor to an Intel Celeron 2.4GHz processor thinking that possibly the processor has fried... which I doubt because it was working fine one night, 10 hours later when off it doesn't!!!



Does anyone know whats went wrong here? I don't think its PSU problems, I dont think there's Processor problems. Im getting really frustrated and just want this god damn thing to work! Someone once suggested that maybe my power surge has blown it up, which got me thinking, because when I got a power cut a few times, the comp stopped working ,and what I used to do was disconnect the power for 20 mins and reconnect, and it would work. But the thing is, there was no power cut. I know this because I would have had to reset my alarm which I hate doing, and I never had to.



The person who gives me the correct answer that sorts it gets a thumbs up and 10 points.





Thank you!



%26gt;%26gt; UPDATE %26gt;%26gt;



I have rebuilt this computer 3 times today in the hope that it would work. I have changed the Processor to an Intel Celeron (one I seen working) thinking it was the processor, and was starting to get frustrated and started looking at new motherboards on eBay to help solve this problem. I then started looking at the pins that operate the power switches and went on the manual to look and see if they were on the right way. According to a guide on-line, the coloured one indicates a positive, and the black/white one is a negative. Anyway, I clicked a few pages ahead on the Adobe manual and seen how to clear the CMOS, and I thought %26quot;hey, the comps not coming on, but I'll check anyway%26quot; and low and behold, I think I have found the problem!



The original jumper that was located there was missing. the CMOS wasn't being activated! So I ran to my friends house and basically tore their spare AMD computer and took a jumper from it. I went home and fitted it onto the CMOS and the %26quot;vvVVV...%26quot; of the fans kick in, the LED's light up... I thought %26quot;oh YES!!!%26quot; and then %26quot;VVVvv...%26quot; shut down. I try again and the same happens. I get about one second of activation and then it dies. But at least I knew it wasn't a power issue! My guess is I must have knocked it out when I put in the new graphics card.



Does anyone know what I should do to get it running... say... a good few years? Does anyone know if a CMOS jumper is different from a HDD jumper? I wouldn't imagine it was, but if it is, then I don't know what to do. Or is it the new Processor I put in that's causing the shut down?



Anyone with the correct answer and allows this machine to run gets 10 points!
Computer Problem Part 4 - Almost worked!?
sigh....

im guessing it's one of your software thats screwing the computer up...

try reusing the 450 psu

and this time

put ur comp and stand -by or hibernate if it survives

------------------------------

unless you actually wiped the HD again and used the same parts as it came from your %26quot;original build%26quot;(if you cant use the original build try finding differnt parts)

------------------------------

it COULD be your MotherBoard
Computer Problem Part 4 - Almost worked!?
I have seen this happen when (believe it or not) the CMOS battery dies. Only certain machines WON'T POST without a battery (or a dead one) but it DOES happen.



The jumper does not differentiate between HDD and Motherboard jumpers, they are all the same. The new proc COULD be a culprit as well, if the procs are bad, fans may power up, lights may light, but it won't post. Try swapping the CPU out, but check that CMOS battery first.
  • shared web hosting
  • What material for a duvet cover for pet owners
  •