Tuesday 20 September 2011

HPs repair center apparently stole my processor - how do I check for timestamps?

I sent my month old HP tower back to HPs repair office after one of the 3 gigs of RAM decided to stop working. Upon return, I found that HP replaced the RAM, but they also apparently changed my processor from a 2.83 to a 2.40. In fact, I think they just swapped out the whole motherboard. I'm running Vista Home - are there any timestamped files or something that would should a new processor or motherboard were installed?
HPs repair center apparently stole my processor - how do I check for timestamps?
Wow!



Anyway, if I were you, I would be on that phone right now, screaming bloody murder at them.



I bet what happened was, that some technician just wan't thinking when they swapped the mobo and didn't put the right processor back into your computer.



Call them and complain! I would. Don't worry about timestamps. If you had a 2.83 Ghz processor before, they damned well better give you back your processor.
HPs repair center apparently stole my processor - how do I check for timestamps?
Shouldn't be necessary - your original invoice should have the processor speed on it, so all you have to do is contact them and show that the mobo you got back isn't the same as you bought.



If you had upgraded the processor yourself aftermarket, then you are in a jam. They can say they replaced the motherboard with the same unit they sold you, and they can say that overclocking or replacing the CPU is grounds to void your warranty.