Tuesday 20 September 2011

How easy is it to replace a laptop processor?

I just picked up an acer 5516-7474 at micro center. I upgraded the ram to 4gb and I want to switch the processor to a turion x2 tl-50. I've read this is a good upgrade. I've never changed a processor before. I have instruction for dissembling the laptop but what can expect when I get to the processor will it simply pop put and the new one pop in. Do I need any type of thermal compound. Would I be better off having it done for me
How easy is it to replace a laptop processor?
It's not much harder than a desktop.

The contraption that holds it is a little smaller and more complicated, but nothing that you won't be able to do.

Putting on the thermal compound is very important. And one thing that you have to remember is that if you are giving your computer more power, then the cpu is going to be hotter. Has anyone ever done this upgrade before on your model of laptop?

One thing you might need to do is upgrade the type of thermal paste used. They make a new kind that is supposedly much better at pulling the heat away, but thats all for nothing if your heatsink assembly can not handle the extra heat.
How easy is it to replace a laptop processor?
ive never replaced a cpu on a laptop. but on a normal desktop it jsut has a hinge then un latches then you pull the processor off. it comes right off. for a laptop i exspect it to be much more difficult just because everything is intergrated and compacted.
+If you have never changed out a processor before, I would not recommend that you do it for the very first time with YOUR laptop. More than likely, it will NOT go well. If you insist upon doing it yourself, I would highly recommend you take apart some old junk laptops to get the feel of it first.
It's not hard at all! You said you have the instructions Id suggest you do it yourself. If it's a newer laptop I'd definitely recommend you doing it yourself most laptop manufacturers are making it really easy to get to part inside the laptops so that when they get them in for repair there easily accessible . Usually there's one screw that you simply turn to get the cpu out. all you really need to take off is the heat sink. Your model is really simple you can do it from the bottom. Just unscrew the larger plastic casing on the bottom there you will see the heat sink unscrew that 4 screws. and right under there is the cpu. good luck!
You should be able to do it with no problems since you have the instructions