Tuesday 20 September 2011

If I upgrade my RAM from 2 to 4 will I have to upgrade my processor also?

I have 2 Gigs of Ram right now and I want to upgrade to 4 because I want to change my OS to Windows 7 64bit. Will I have to change my processor also.

It runs at 2.2 Ghz. And its a intel core duo



How how do I find the right RAM if I dont want to buy from the manufacturer that i bought the computer from. They only sell SDRAM and I heard that it is the slowest kind of RAM i want to get DDR2 or DDR3.

My computer is a HP Pavilion dv9000
If I upgrade my RAM from 2 to 4 will I have to upgrade my processor also?
no. u may upgrade ram without upgrading ANYTHING else.

btw. You use DDR2 ram in that model.



If you already have 2 gigs, (the laptop only has 2 slots for ram), then you will have to remove the 2 (1 gig) chips and put in 2 (2 gig) chips... IF AND ONLY IF YOUR MOTHERBOARD WILL SUPPORT THAT MUCH RAM.



List your motherboard model number and we can help you find some good cheap ram... or check newegg.



these will fit, IF your laptop has a bios update available letting it support more than 2gb of ram.



http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as鈥?/a>







NOTE: btw, the SDRAM that you listed IS DDR2... that is what they mean when they call it... %26quot;PC2-5300%26quot;... they are just using %26quot;PC2%26quot; instead of saying DDR2
If I upgrade my RAM from 2 to 4 will I have to upgrade my processor also?
The DV9000 will take DDR2 RAM. It will bold right up. If you want to go to 4 gigs you will have to replace both your 1GB sticks with 2GB sticks. Each 2gb stick costs about $40.00. If you only want to buy one you can go to 3gb. Windows 7 is much more efficient with RAM than Vista.



We don't get to pick what type of RAM we use. We must buy the type that fits the slots on the motherboard. I know for a fact that the dv9000 takes DDR2 ram. DO NOT BUY FROM HP. They are an absolute rip-off. They charge $111 for a 1gb stick. I can get that stick for $25 retail.
You do not need to upgrade your processor when you upgrade your ram. However you do have to use SDRAM, as DDR2 and DDR3 will not fit your motherboard.



You don't have to buy from the manufacturer but you do have to buy memory that has the same speed or better.
no. ram is only how much memory is available for a program to access.
No on changing processor.

Memory information at

www.crucial.com

scan the system for type and what you can add
No, you can upgrade RAM without upgrading the processor. Its easy and just snaps in
No you won't.