Friday 16 September 2011

Will I need to re-install Windows if I replace change my motherboard and processor?

I have a new motherboard and processor that I want to install, but I really don't have time to re-install Windows and get all my settings back to how I like them. Will this be necessary if I install the new hardware, or will my old Windows installation continue to work?
Will I need to re-install Windows if I replace change my motherboard and processor?
I would recommend it cause window will configure it self different an your board needs different drivers
Will I need to re-install Windows if I replace change my motherboard and processor?
Maybe cause Windows will not like the new hardware I bet.
Yes
Vista does work, builds new driver etc. no re-install needed. not sure about XP.
I am sorry to say but yes you have to format your system
No everything is on your hard drive.
No its not necessary

but you will have two drivers for one hardware on your system and it can make your system bulky and slow and so best thing is re-installing windows
You can usually get away with it.

But if you really,relay need the PC, the gremlins in there will thwart you, and crash the PC.
Not always.

Your new motherboard will almost certainly have different chipset(s) than the one it is replacing, especially if it has an onboard video chip that provides the video instead of a dedicated graphics card, and which has its own chipset. A Windows XP installation that uses the chipset drivers for the old motherboard is likely to lock up when you run it on the new motherboard.



Note that RAM and the processor do not have device drivers, so you don't have to do anything to Windows XP if you upgrade those components. Windows will automatically detect and install those devices.



The most successful process involves having to perform a repair installation of Windows XP, which requires a full Windows XP CD, or at least a recovery partition that includes a repair option.