Friday 16 September 2011

How would I determine the total speed of a processor?

Ok, I am comparing a few processors, and I want to know how to calculate the total speed, or true speed of the processors. I know the clock speed is about as reliable as a compass in a room full of magnets. There are many factors that determine the total speed such as cache and FSB speed. So how would I calculate that?



I have a Pentium D dual core processor with 1MB cache and 800MHz FSB with a clock speed of 2.8GHz. I'm wondering how that would fair against a Core 2 duo processor. I want to change the processors and I'm wondering if it would be worth $120.

The exact one I want is the Core 2 Duo E7500 Wolfdale at 2.93Ghz (3MB cache, 1066 MHz FSB). I would also like to know how this model would fair against a newer model such as the Core 2 Duo E8300 2.83GHz (6MB Cache, 1333MHz FSB)



Is there a general formula for the calculation of total speed?
How would I determine the total speed of a processor?
The amount of cores, and L2/L3 cache tells you the speed of a processor. Core clock is insignificant as long as it's over 2.4 Ghz. The higher the values of those, the faster the processor. A l2/l3 cache below 4mb is a VERY slow processor. Average is 6, a fast, expensive processor usually has 8 or more. You can also get into things like stepping. architecture, etc, but that's computer geek stuff. General consumer doesn't need to know it.



So, to answer your question directly, the E8300 would be the best value in the ones you've listed.
How would I determine the total speed of a processor?
Go to Tom's hardware website here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2009-鈥?/a>

Look at the benchmarks to different processors to compare them with the use of different software. Use the benchmarks more relevant to you in order to decide which is best for you.
Sorry not sure about a calculation. But try this:



http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/CPU-Tweak/CPU-TrueSpeed.shtml
Right click somewhere?