Thursday 15 September 2011

I want to make my old pc faster by changing my processor and mobo, How can I choose one thats right for my pc

I am currently running a 633 celeron, 256 memory, which is max. A 64mb video card. I already replaced the power supply with 350 or so watts so power isnt a problem. I've cut vents in my case and have an extra fan so cooling isnt an issue.

My question is how do i pick the right processor and mobo.

I want to get as fast as possible with my old e-machine.

I have also picked up a 80gb hd which i stil have to install.

Money is my biggest concern right now so less is best but I still long for great gaming, with new games. My system is basically a maxed out E-machine, But I believe with th right mods almost anything is possible. I have plenty of room for storage, and music and stuff but games play like crap. I need speed.
I want to make my old pc faster by changing my processor and mobo, How can I choose one thats right for my pc
I only run a AMD 2800 with 1Gb Ram and a Gforce FX5200, and I have little or no problems with games like COD2 - BF2, any of the stuff coming out soon and I'm going to struggle but all that in an old case only cost me 拢100 by shopping around.

The quality of the graphics is not amazing but it's fine for me and with 10Mb cable I enjoy myself online without spending wads of cash
I want to make my old pc faster by changing my processor and mobo, How can I choose one thats right for my pc
A 633 celeron, 256 mem, and 64 video card? You could get away with playing games from eight to ten years ago with those configs. But such games as Oblivion and Gothic 3 demands, and I mean demands! higher-line pc guts! It's because the video graphics and loading and subsequent action will slow down your machine to a crawl without a higher mem video card and especially with having only 256 memory.



Check around for suggestions that can help you tweak you machine.
I just got a Compaq at Staples for 400 bucks. Plays most games, has a 512 meg of ram, a dvd burner, 17%26quot; monitor, 120 gig hard drive and a printer. Don't waste money on your current museum piece.
To get more bang for your buck you, may just need to buy yourself a good packaged desktop (Dell Sony or HP). After the cost of the mainboard and chip, you then may need to replace the case, with means pulling out all the devices you may have. Then you may find that your %26quot;cdrom%26quot; is too slow and want DVD-Rom and a DVD-Burner, also you will need to purchase a diiferent type of memory than what your old system has. No matter if you build the system or bye the system as a package, you want to have either an AMD Athlon64 or Intel Core Solo, or better processor. You want to have at minimium 40-80GB @7200+ rpms harddrive, preferrably SATA. Memory you will need at least 1GB of DDR or DDR2 RAM. Video cards you will want either ATI Radeon or Nvidia FX, with 128MB or better. LCD Panels save on desktop space so you may want one of those, 17+ inches is good. Of course get your DVD-ROM and DVD-burner. And most important of all, buy the games for it!
I recommend the purchase of a new machine, you will need New RAM and video cards that are compatible with the new motherboard.



Cheers!
Take it to a computer store, for under 50$, they will get what's best for you. Think... what if hardware's not compatible?
trust me upgrading an old machine is a waste of money. you can get a brand new Compaq, with warranty, customer support, monitor and all cheaper than buying parts for an old machine.